Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Until Whenever

Oh, I'd also like to bring up a quote that i wrote about in my reading log for chapter 15...

" What is love of one's country, is it hate of one's uncountry? Then it's not a good thing. Is it simply self-love? ..."
- Estraven

When i first read this quote, i thought Estraven had a really good point. I never really thought about what the love of one's country actually is. I mean we all say we love our country but .. what does actually loving our country mean? I definitely don't think it's the hate of one's uncountry but i do think that in our current society today, that's what a lot of people mistake for patriotism. Perhaps it's the love for what the country represents and when the country is in crisis, remaining by it's side instead of "abandoning" it. What does everyone else think? =)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Estravens point also and it sorta ties in with your blog title too haha. To me patriotism is being proud of where you are from. Every country has their unique general qualities/opinions/rights/beliefs and having a preference of those stuff over other another countries and supporting it is patriotism. Estrevan's love doesn't end with his own country because he has the ability to appreciate Gethen as a whole world, I think the people of our world should follow his example instead of playing my country is better than yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like my comment is very late but i agree with you Saruul. Patriotism should just simply be being proud of what his or her country represents (such as some of the things you mentioned: religion, rights, beliefs, etc.). AND i also agree with you that we should follow Estraven's example. I mean, to be honest, people in the U.S. think we're better than other countries because maybe we have a little more technology and money, but i really don't think so. I remember in Econ Mr. Shimmon mentioned that one of the nations measured national GDP as "happiness" instead of output. Perhaps we have the technology and money, but if we're not happy, i don't think we're better off than a "poor country" that have happy citizens.

    ReplyDelete