Thursday, April 16, 2009

Foolish Love

"We're not each other's, anymore. Instead, I am his.
Unworthy, unjust, untrue. But that is what happened."
I found that quote extremely interesting. Perhaps it was the fact that Luke accepted her inferiority better than I would have expected. They seemed to have complemented each other so perfectly, but in this time of need, I feel Luke had deserted her. The fact that he never even asked her how she felt, the fact that he accepted the idea that she was his, like property. Blah, that's unacceptable. But then again, I guess it's really not his fault. He was made to believe that men were superior (or at least that's what it seems like).

Perhaps the better question, or thought to ponder about is, who, specifically, could have done these things? What was the purpose? Why make men assume a superior role and strip away the rights of women that they have long fought for? The book mentioned that someone or group had shot the president, and killed the entire Congress and basically took over. Again, why? For all we know, the world seemed to be functioning normally. Why was there a need to change? Why throw everything into a whirlwind and cause such distress? I wish I could get to these answers sooner.

Anyways, I thought it was extremely interesting that Ofglen broke the rules and talked to Offred about the "forbidden subjects." It really surprised me - she seemed like one of those, like Offred said true believers (like goody too shoes in school). I'm really curious to see who was the "us" she referred to when she asked Offred to join them. What could her group be planning? A rebellion to take back their world? An escape? What would happen? Ah, most questions to answer.

Last thought: I wonder, what did happen to Luke? Did he change? Offred mentions that, "By the time I could have done that, I was afraid to. I couldn't afford to lose you." Maybe he did. You know, my title for this blog would be very appropriate here: Foolish Love.

1 comment:

  1. I feel some extremist group took over, most likely a religious sect that may have been popular at the time. They may have done so because that is the way the world is supposed to work in their religion or their teachings. I think when people are put in extreme circumstances or they are in fear they will do whatever it takes to stay safe, even if it means giving up their freedoms. I think the whole reduced fertility had a role to play in it and people began to get agitated. Also if the Congress and president are killed, who has the authority to say what should happen next? Who would listen to them? It seems to me anyone could have taken over if they had enough muscle to keep a few people in check. Luke never seemed like the reliable type to me, ever since he left his first wife i questioned his character.

    ReplyDelete